Bookmark and Share

Gorm the Old’s rune stone

The small Jelling stone was raised by King Gorm in memory of Queen Thyra around 950 AD. The rock is light grey, fine-grained striped gneiss, and the rune stone is fairly simple in its design. On the front side three vertical lines of runes can be seen, whilst on the opposite side there is just one. Two snakes’ heads terminating the lines of runes at the top of the back side of the stone are the only decoration. The snakes' heads are worn down, but can be made out under a strong oblique light.


The inscription reads: “King Gorm made these runes in honour of his wife Thyra, the pride of Denmark”.


Around 1600 the rune stone functioned as a bench near the church door and was moved to its present position between 1627 and 1639. We don't really know where the small Jelling stone originally was placed, but it must have had some connection to the Jelling monuments.

Gorm the Old’s rune stone - the small Jelling stone. The photograph shows the side facing the church.
Gorm the Old’s rune stone - the small Jelling stone.